Known as the 'City of Art', Vence has a rich history of attracting artists and writers, from D H Lawrence to Chagall and Matisse.
The old town retains its ancient walls within which are tightly packed houses centred around a small square with its beautiful church and lively cafés. The church is actually the town cathedral, which houses a very beautiful and classic Chagall mosaic. The streets are filled with art galleries, gift shops and beautifully decorated buildings - you can happily spend hours browsing.
The medieval town centre is surrounded by a slighter newer town that spreads into the surrounding hillsides. At it’s heart is the Place du Grand Jardin, where there is an excellent local produce market every morning; antique dealers congregate here every Wednesday morning too.
More Nice Insights...
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Nice this summer
- Travellers welcome to Nice from June 15th 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Nice in 2020
- Flights to Nice Cote d'Azur restart in June 2020
- Tour de France 2020 postponed to late summer
- Which Nice restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?