In the heart of old Nice, the pedestrianised area of Cours Saleya is the place to come for market stalls.
Every morning except Monday, you will find fruit, flower and vegetable stalls, selling a vast array of local produce.
Here you will find the very best of local and organic seasonal produce, fresh seafood (although the waters around Nice do not supply a lot of it) and plenty of locally produced olive oils and pistous. The very traditional Provencal 'pistou' is not to be confused with 'pesto', although similar, if you are cooking Nicois or Provencal style food then you will always be using 'pistou'.
On Monday's, instead of the usual food, you will find an antiques market with all sorts of curiosities and old-fashioned items. You can certainly spend the morning rummaging here! During the summer season, there is also an arts and crafts market every evening from 18:00, great for touristy gifts and souvenirs. Also, the local crafts such as glass earrings hand-made in Cannes and brightly coloured leather bags and purses hand-stitched in Nice. .
More Nice Insights...
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Nice this summer
- Travellers welcome to Nice from June 15th 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Nice in 2020
- Flights to Nice Cote d'Azur restart in June 2020
- Tour de France 2020 postponed to late summer
- Which Nice restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?