The museum of modern and contemporary art was opened in 1990 and features artworks from the 1960s to the present day.
Located near the Place Garibaldi, this museum was designed by architects Yves Bayard and Henri Vidal. Its striking shape and monumentality were inspired by neo-classical style, even with its facade covered with Carrara marble.
It is distributed over ten showrooms, with the entrance and the shop located at the level of the esplanade Niki de Saint Phalle, which overlooks the Place Yves Klein. The gallery spaces are devoted to temporary exhibitions on the first floor, and the permanent collections are on the second and third floors.
The main focus is given to New European Realism (Yves Klein, Cesar, Arman, Niki de Saint Phalle) and the American tendency towards the art of assembling and Pop Art (Andy Warhol, Tom Wesselmann).
Other key areas on exhibition include Minimalism, Abstract and Figuration. The collection includes over 400 permanent works, with several temporary exhibitions each year.
- Place Yves Klein
More Nice Insights...
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Nice this summer
- Travellers welcome to Nice from June 15th 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Nice in 2020
- Flights to Nice Cote d'Azur restart in June 2020
- Tour de France 2020 postponed to late summer
- Which Nice restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?