This Occitan vegetable dish originates in Nice. Aubergines, courgettes, peppers and onions are sautéed with herbes de Provence and garlic and the key ingredient, tomatoes, added later to make a rich and thick stew.
It is often served as a side dish but can be eaten as a main with bread, rice or pasta. It is perhaps Provence’s most famous culinary export, even lending its name to a Walt Disney film! Though referred to commonly as ratatouille niçoise, the dish is in fact popular along the entire Mediterranean coast as an easy summer dish.
More Nice Insights...
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Nice this summer
- Travellers welcome to Nice from June 15th 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Nice in 2020
- Flights to Nice Cote d'Azur restart in June 2020
- Tour de France 2020 postponed to late summer
- Which Nice restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?