This Niçois dish is made by hollowing out vegetables - courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes - and filling them with a stuffing made from minced meat, onion, breadcrumbs and seasoning.
These creations are then roasted in the oven and served hot. Recipes often vary from family to family with most people re-creating the recipe that their mother made and that they were brought up on. Stuffing the fresh summer vegetables in this ways allows people to use up the scraps of meat, bread and other herbs and spices in their kitchen.
Often served with a mixed salad they can be enjoyed hot, warm or cold, or as a side accompaniment, or event a picnic snack. The white onion is a particular favourite as it caramelises as it is cooked and shares its wonderful flavours the other vegetables alongside it.
You can buy these freshly prepared at the market and cook them in the over once you get home, drizzled with olive oil and shavings of parmesan cheese...mmmmm.
More Nice Insights...
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Nice this summer
- Travellers welcome to Nice from June 15th 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Nice in 2020
- Flights to Nice Cote d'Azur restart in June 2020
- Tour de France 2020 postponed to late summer
- Which Nice restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?